Sent by Jonathan Stark on July 8th, 2019
Here’s a big list of “best practices” that I violate on a regular basis:
- Have top level navigation
- Have a blog
- Tag your posts
- Have an RSS feed
- Have lots of pretty photos
- Make your site SEO friendly
- Always publish your podcast at the same time every week
- Make sure all your episodes are about 20 minutes long (because that’s the average commute time)
- Ask listeners in every podcast episode to “rate and review on iTunes”
- Use intro and outro music in your podcast episodes
- Use a professional voice actor for your podcast intro
- Create episode specific artwork for every podcast episode
- Publish transcripts, show notes, and bonus content for every podcast episode
- Launch your podcast with multiple episodes to boost your New and Noteworthy rating in iTunes
- Send messages to your mailing list no more than once per week
- Always publish your newsletter at the same time
- Always customize your email message with the recipient’s first name
- Don’t sell stuff to your email list in every message
- Don’t swear because you’ll run afoul of spam filters
Fuck all that noise.
Here’s the thing...
Make awesome shit.
Share it with people who need it.
That is all.