May 19, 2019
What to do when you screw up
Sent by Jonathan Stark on May 20th, 2019
This week on TBOA, Rochelle and I talk about what to do when you screw up.
LISTEN NOW -> What To Do When You Screw Up
- How you can turn a screw-up situation around
- Thinking about how the story is going to be told
- How empathy can help you understand how the story will be told and how you can turn it around
- Asking clients to trust you after screwing up
- Avoiding defensiveness
- Helping clients dealing with difficult situations
- Responding to unsolicited criticism
- Remaining respectful in the face of aggressive criticism or complaints
“We ask our clients to tell us what’s wrong, what isn’t working, to be vulnerable that they’re not perfect.” –RM
“Step one for me when it happens is don’t get defensive.” –JS
“Sometimes maybe it’s not about you.” –RM
“Take a breath, think about the other person, try and be empathetic to their situation, try to see it through their eyes.” –JS
Getting More by Stuart Diamond
Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss
Sharing is caring!
If you enjoyed this episode, please consider sharing it with a few friends who might find it useful. Thanks!