February 3, 2024
Project Risk with Jonathan Stark
Jeffrey Sherman and Isaac Askew had me on Never Rewrite to talk about the eerie parallels between software rewrites and hourly billing.
LISTEN NOW »
- Hourly billing puts all the risk on the client, leading to stressful relationships and arguments about hours and costs.
- Trust is crucial in client relationships and can be built by delivering on promises and becoming an authority in your field.
- Pushing back against rewrites can be done by presenting multiple solutions and discussing the trade-offs between cost and quality.
- Software estimates are important for budgeting and decision-making, and developers should be encouraged to provide estimates for different solutions.
- Developers should understand the financial risks their clients are taking on and the value they provide.
- Speaking in terms of dollars and business outcomes is more valuable than focusing on technical details.
- Consider the cheap and easy options before diving into complex projects.
- Value pricing involves providing the best solution for clients.
Sharing is caring!
If you enjoyed this episode, please consider sharing it with a few friends who might find it useful. Thanks!