November 26, 2018
Setting Expectations with guest Ben Manley
In today’s episode of Ditching Hourly, I’m joined by guest Ben Manley to talk about the real-world benefits of specialization and offering a productized service.
Ben is the founder of Knapsack, a web design firm that offers a laser focused productized service that allows his team to deliver beautiful websites to their clients in one day.
Ben shares his background and explains in detail how he went from a generalist design freelancer who would do anything from Photoshop comps to theater sets, to running a highly specialized web design firm that generates incredible word-of-mouth referrals.
As a past client of Ben’s, I can tell you from experience that his process is stellar and delivers a huge amount of value in a very short time. And he shares it all in this interview.
Here’s the link:
- Transitioning from hourly billing to project based prices
- The benefits of specializing
- The importance of having a healthy margin
- Designing with the client over your shoulder
- How to ask for good design feedback
- Capitalizing on a platform specialization
- Preventing scope creep on fixed price services
Sharing is caring!
Do you know a generalist web designer who is struggling to make ends meet? Do them a solid and share this ep with them. Cheers!